Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Drip, Drip, Drop!



I've seen the dripping manicure look floating around the nail community for quite a while now and decided it was high time I gave it a go myself. And it was SUPER easy!

I started with two coats of Illamasqua Jo'Mina, and did my first set of drips with China Glaze Light as Air. I used no tools for this manicure, just the brushes that come with the polishes. To create the drips, I used the very tip of the brush to place where the ends of the drips would be in two or three places near the middle of the nail. Then I dragged these up towards the tip, and filled in between them to get a drippy droppy splatty shape.



Then I repeated with Illamasqua Baptiste, doing a bit of overlapping for a more varied look (in hindsight, I think Models Own Purple Grey would have looked better). Bit of clean up with acetone and a brush, et voila!



Have you tried the drips manicure? Do you like it or loathe it?

35 comments:

  1. I like this. I always like your nail art! I just wish I could be bothered to do more of it myself.
    Love the colours you chose here - always nice to see JoMina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good! i never have the patience to try things like this lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, it looks amazing...well done ... i could never do that. xox

    http://veryrandomrambles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this yet, but once my nails grow a little longer I certainly will. It looks lovely, you should try with different colours now. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome! Am definitely going to give it a try. :) Nice colour combination as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, it looks great. I'm so completely inept when it comes to my nails, I have issues just painting them let alone trying any form of nail art :(

    Kelly x

    http://jellyminxthinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! Have always wanted to try it out, just didn't know how it was done :) will definitely try it out !

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Helen: Daww, thank you :)! When I first bought Jo'Mina I thought 'what did I do that for, I have so many lilacs already' but it's so unique, isn't it?

    @Jordan: Thank you! :)

    @Steph: Thanks! It's pretty easy really, just a bit of trial and error :)

    @Jess: Thanks, I probably will do :) be sure to show me when you do it!

    @Lianne: Thank you! Would love to see yours :)

    @Bettina: Thank you :)

    @Kelly: Thanks! Trust me, it's not too hard - I wasn't born magically able to do nail art, it's all just practice! :)

    @Kimmycph: Thank you! Would love to see :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh I loveeee it!!! Ok definitely gonna hve to try this myself! I got konad plates etc last week so I'm gonna have to give those a whirl too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great, have to give that a go sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fun. Great colours too. Perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like it...wish my nails were long enough to try it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love yours!

    I did one recently but I used nail art pens rather than nail polish for a 3d effect :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE!! And in a BIG way! I haven't seen this before. You make it look not only awesome but easy. Two things that I know I'd have a FAIL.ORG on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tried it, but it didn't look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cool! Did you wait for each layer to dry?

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cool! This reminds me of the artist Junko Mizuno (she has a very cutesy, drippy art style)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that looks amazing! I know you said it was easy but I'd fail at it hehe <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the drip drops nails - It's on my to do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks fab. I love that shade of lilac and your nails are amazing - so long! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! I'll definitely be trying this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much everyone for your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so freaking cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like it, i love the colours you used!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look stunning! Love your choice of colours.
    E x

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is the first time I've seen this technique and it's fantastic, yours turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So perfectly done :) Please try it with blues! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. LEEEELEEEEEEEEE!!! perFECTION! utter perfection, the glossyness.. your nails! <3 the effort you always put into the looks and how unique they are, love love love! and you know me how i go gaga over purples.. WOOOO!

    really reminds me of ink blots you get, heheee :D xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's the first I've heard of this and I LOVE it! Wow! Now I'm tempted to do mine!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is lovely! Inspired me to do it to the bed of my nails, a singluar colour though (and, not as well)!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another winner that I would fail at! Love how glossy it is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ah I love this. Great choice of colours! xo

    ReplyDelete