Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Lava Inspired Nails



This was one of my favourite suggestions from my Nails Supreme giveaway a couple of months ago. Zara suggested 'I'd love to see you do a manicure that looks like lava with a cooling crust on top'. Awesome idea!

She provided a link to a photo, and I'm gonna link you to it as well... Click here. Sorry for the extra effort of having to follow a link to see a picture, but Sunday night's #bbloggers Twitter chat and Helen's new post about copyright have got me scared! So just click it, okay :)



Whilst this might not exactly like the photo, I'm sure you can tell the inspiration. I started with one coat of Revlon's Mad About Mango (one of their scented ones... not super impressed with them, would you like a review?). Mad About Mango actually needs at least two coats for full opacity but I knew I'd be covering it with other stuff so I didn't bother with a second coat. Then I randomly splotched on Barielle's Lemon Drop and Orly's Haute Red. Naturally, the 'cooling crust' was achieved with Barry M's black Instant Nail Effects.



Overall, really easy but really effective I reckon. I know we're all getting pretty bored of the whole crackle/shatter thing now, but this has made me realise that using multiple colours underneath the crackle polish makes it much more interesting! I don't know why I'm surprised - I did it once before with these rainbow ones.

So, what do you think to the lava nails? Thanks again Zara for such a brilliant suggestion!

22 comments:

  1. this looks really cool! i might try it someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I haven't used my black Barry M crackle in ages, maybe it's time to get it out again!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, simple, effective, a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I'm going to have to try some multiple colors under crackle now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, you're so creative! I think it's about time I bought a crackle polish now, I'm so behind! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's awesome! You have so many style possibilities with the Barry M nail effects polish, it's super cool!
    I'll try this look in autumn if I don't forget! Thank you for sharing :D
    Love,
    Emily


    http://www.thestyleexplorer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is gorgeous, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love this look! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really cool! Thanks for using my suggestion, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, the effect is amazing! Nice work :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmygosh, they actually look exactly like lava! I really like this, so creative <3 :)

    http://thedollhousediary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the best reason to buy crackle that I've seen! I used to have hair that looked like that. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.spookynails.com/2011/02/lava-nails.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I just found your blog because I did my nails with lava in mind recently and today when I posted I thought it would be fun to try a Google search for other lava manicures! I found you and I'm following! :D The splotches of colour is such a good idea! It really brings it to life. I linked your lava nails on my blog post, I hope this is okay!

    ReplyDelete