Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Easy Peasy Nail Design - Cityscape



Not gonna lie, I totally and shamelessly pinched this design from Calee Loves Nails on Tumblr. I saw her picture and immediately knew I had to give it a go myself, but it didn't look nearly as good as hers so I decided to outline the buildings and add little windows to them with silver. Either way, since I took pictures of each stage as I was doing it, I figured it's about time I did another Easy Peasy post so here you go!



Start off with your chosen base colour - this would look great with most colours really! I'd like to try again with a navy, or dark purple or something. This one is Illamasqua's Vice.



This step is completely optional, but I just wanted to add a little extra interest to the background colour, to try and make it look a bit more 'cloudy' if you like. I just sponged on a little bit of Pure Ice's Twinkle, a sheer peach shimmer.



Once your base colour is dry, use a black nail art pen/liquid liner/whatever you use to mark the outlines of where your buildings are going to go. I decided to do this before adding the glitter just to make sure I didn't get glitter in the areas where I wanted to add buildings, if you see what I mean. Apologies for the blur in this one, it looked sharp on my camera LCD but apparently not when I got it onto the computer!



Now go ahead and add your glitter! I used BYS's Kinky Pink as it has a sheer base with multiple sizes of glitters including those big sexy hex glitters to act as stars. If you don't have a polish like this, you can of course improvise and apply large hex glitters by hand to a base of clear polish (to make it stick), or you could use rhinestones, or even just paint in your own stars with silver or gold polish and a dotting tool or similar.



The next step is to fill in your building outlines with a black polish. I stupidly didn't take a picture at that stage, but it just didn't look right because I didn't leave small gaps between the buildings like the original artist did. To save it and make it more obvious what it was supposed to be, I just outlined the buildings with a silver nail art pen and added in little windows.

And that's pretty much it! I hope you enjoyed, sorry, I'm a bit rusty with this whole tutorial lark :)

10 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I'd never think to do anything like it, I think your version looks really nice as well as the original :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so neat! I love how the glitter makes a night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the base color with twinkle on it and your buildings look great! I'm going to have to attempt to steal it also..

    ReplyDelete
  4. this os so cool! yay for the return of easy peasy nails xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fab, love the glitter polish you used!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have awarded you with a blog award! for being one of my favourite blogs! check it out here:

    http://charlies-wonderland.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-first-blog-award.html

    XX
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete